Written By: Chas Pippitt

Twitter is a beautiful thing.  It allows me to communicate directly with our readers and see the interesting thoughts they have on the game.  Occasionally, a reader will Tweet me a video or a question.  You can follow me at @Chas_Pippitt and Baseball Rebellion at @BRrebellion  This tweet really got my attention:jose canseco terrible hitting

This video, seen below, totally derailed my day and got me thinking…this would be a great Halloween article…it’s just so Bad it’s SCARY!  Watch…if you DARE!

OK, I’m going to type that out…read it.  I have no clue how to punctuate this…so any reader who wants to give it a shot…go for it.  Does that make ANY SENSE?

Notice on this combination of both, extension of back hand through the ball, back hand is the power and a guide, with the combination of extension with the front hand through the ball so the angle you want is a combination here, straight to the ball.  From here, full extension and release.  Once you come to full extension with the back hand, the front hand, the back hand comes into play.  So the swing should look, slow motion, like this.  Notice that the shoulders do not open.  The hands go forward extremely strong.  Jose Canseco

WHAAAAAAT?  I really watched this video, probably 40 times.  I wanted to understand it.  I wanted to find value in it.  Instead, I simply was amazed that this player, one of only 3 members of the 40/40 club, the MOST exclusive club in baseball history, really had no clue how to teach someone to hit.

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!…

SSo let’s take a look at his game swing, a swing that hit a ball WAY into the upper deck, and see if he does what he’s telling kids to do.  I can’t wait to find out.

Obviously, you see the flaws in what Canseco, one of the best players of his generation, is teaching in his app.  Hopefully ,this article/teaching within wasn’t too scary for you.  From all of us at Baseball Rebellion, Happy Halloween!

Chas Pippitt, Leader of the Baseball Rebellion

15 thoughts on "SCARY BAD Baseball Coaching by Jose Canseco! Baseball Rebellion Halloween Edition"

1. Charles Sherrill says:

Chas, yet another great post. I like the way this one ties together all the elements of the high level swing, and it’s probably the best video yet at comparing and contrasting the traditional teaching queues with the high level swing. I’m going to book mark this one so I can send it to coaches I work with in the future.

Incidentally, Will has moved up to the the 60/90 big boy field. He hit a stand up double (w/ two strikes) to the center right fence this past weekend… about 290 in the air and only about 30 feet short of clearing the fence in our park. Not shabby for a 105 pound player.

He’d still be hitting grounders to the second baseman if it weren’t for The Baseball Hitting Rebellion. Thanks!

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Charles,

Thanks for the appreciation man, we love our connected readers!

Tell Will I said hello and get me some video! I KNOW you got that 300 foot shot on film.

Chas–

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Ryan,

The All Shore Academy is a favorite of our hitting coaches to get a quick laugh.

They have perfectly priced this information based on it’s true value: $0

Chas–

Now go wash your eyes out with soap! (KIDDING)

2. Paul says:

I guess Mickey Mantle did it wrong. He wasn’t “short” or “soft” in his stride.

Ted Williams didn’t have a “straight” stride either.

Of course, none of them swung “A to C.”

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Paul,

long time no talk, glad to see you’re still around.

You playing anywhere?

Chas–

2. Don Ervin says:

Jose Conseco
    Well fellas.
    The way numerous highly experienced players explain how it should be done verses the way they actually do do it is and has been very confusing for many years due to the fact that a great number of purveyors of hitting and other aspects of baseball do it one way and explain it another way, such as The great one, Mr. Ted Williams for instance, His way of personally explaining and demonstrating was just articulate and simple to understand, check out videos of him along with written info from him such as color photo’s etc in his book, {THE SCIENCE OF HITTING.} yet his physical way of actually executing his approach was somewhat different so, which way do we go when we are confronted with this particular situation, do we steer away from these people who do it one way and explain it another way? myself I chose many years ago to decipher every thing out and to find out which way explained to me in simple and understandable words the overall concept of what I needed to learn, his written word correlating with his info and color photo’s in his book along with inserting various other info that fit into his frame work of hitting has worked out fine for me and those who I have been fortunate enough to teach the game of baseball to.
    Great Baseball-N
    Don Ervin

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Don,

Sounds like you’ve done some homework! Most people are unwilling to gain a knowledge advantage in life (Mark Cuban’s idea), so they’ll hear a professional player saying something…and the’ll do it.

Like cows being herded to slaughter, they blindly follow the bad advice and bad demos instead of seeing what professionals DO.

We filter the garbage and translate the jargon. Thanks for reading both our hitting and pitching blogs.

Chas–

3. sam says:

If I didn’t know any better I’d think Conseco spent time with Kevin Long. Who was the hitting coach for the A’s in those days as they did have a phenominal hitting team with ( Mcgwire, Conseco, Parker, ect.) I’m sure it wasn’t all juice that made them go….

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Sam,

You see Canseco did a lot right in his swing. yes, it’s not perfect as he had a little…enhancement…strength wise to help him but overall he grades out pretty well.

besides, any coach who tried to change him might have gotten clubbed…

chas–

4. Bobby Craig says:

I think we should look past the negative and appreciate the positive message in Mr. Canseco’s theory. Kids, don’t use drugs!!!

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Bobby,

HA! Long time no talk man, how you been?

Chas–

5. Taylor Bales says:

Once again, another WOW moment that we talk about.

6. Rob says:

Hi Chas, this is true of many professional athletes/coaches being given a pass by baseball sheeple. I had Dick Schofield coach with me one season in high school ball, great player for the Angels now a coach in their system. As the season began I asked him to help hitters in the cage and they would come back telling me ‘coach, he doesnt know how to coach, we ask him questions and he cannot answer them.” A lot of these guys get credibility and high level coaching positions based solely on who they know and very little on what they know. I remember Augie Garrido saying pro athletes are just that “athletes” not coaches…a lot of truth to that. Have a great week, in November I give thanks for the Rebellion and may the sheeple soon see the light.

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Rob,

Awesome comment. It’s crazy how little some of the best actually know about their craft. Frankly, some of them get bogged down with all that information and they don’t want to know.

They just want to do.

Nike wants athletes that “Just do it” Athletes care about production, not process. Most would slam their heads in car doors to get a few extra hits. Whatever it takes.

The rub is that the less talented MUST know what to do and how to do it.

Chas–