Robinson Cano: Blind Case Study

Written By: Chas Pippitt

The Rebels ask, and the Rebels shall receive!

Recently, I was asked to diagram a Robinson Cano swing, so I took some time to do that.  I made sure that the video was NOT one currently in my video library, because I wanted a pure test of my theories on hitting and if Cano would exhibit everything or only some things that the Baseball Hitting Rebellion preaches.

Here are the results:

Pretty impressive.

Cano is an amazingly coordinated and sudden athlete.  His hips are the fastest in the game and also, have the most movement.

In order of my articles, Cano exhibits:

1. Double Inside Load
  2. Hip Thrust
  3. ‘Nike Swoosh’ Bat Path
  4.  ‘4 Deep Swing’ (Weight, Hips, Hands, and Eyes)
  5. Vision Behind the Ball even After Contact
  6. Super-Thrust that drags his back foot over 12 inches forward within his swing

I thought I would see this, as I see this in many videos of top level players, but what’s even cooler, is I’m starting to see this within my own hitters I see in person, AND those who have experienced the Baseball Hitting Rebellion online lessons as well.

Stay tuned for more, and please, let me know if you liked this style of blog post better?  I think it’s more informative, but again, I want your feedback.

Robinson Cano Hitting Mechanics, Robinson Cano Slow Motion Breakdown, Robinson Cano Swing Mechanics

Thanks,

Chas Pippitt, Leader of the Baseball Hitting Rebellion

UPDATE:  See a Great Breakdown of Josh Hamilton and Jose Bautista’s Timing in this article:  CLICK HERE!

Posted in:

25 thoughts on "Robinson Cano: Blind Case Study"

1. Hess fridley says:

Great stuff guys I really enjoy your work. It’s so different than what I was tought in high school And joco ball.

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Hess,

I am glad you like what we’re doing. I can tell you honestly, that I have put over 5 years of work into these ideas and countless hours of studying other hitting guru’s like Epstien and Williams. I even read a book, which I can’t find anymore, called something like the ZEN of hitting, which was also pretty intersesting. Nothing is better than a crushed baseball and we want more people to feel what Joey and I and JK and the entire BHR team obviously didn’t feel enough of, or we’d still be playing.

We now know that BHR people are looking for a better way and are open minded enough to really look at what we’ve put together and decide if it makes more sense than what they were told before or originally thought.

We at BHR thank YOU ALL for your continued support. Tell your friends and lead them to the REBELLION!

Chas –

2. doug says:

Hi Joey,
    I can’t get Chas’s video of robinson Cano’s swing analysis to play. At the top right hand side of the page it says that I am not logged in?
    Can you help me to see this video?
    Doug

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Doug, did you get it to work?

Chas –

3. Anonymous says:

can u do josh hamilton next time. Thanks

4. Joey Myers says:

@Doug: do you have a YouTube account? If so, then login and try to view the video…if not, then sign up for one and try to play the film. I signed out of my YouTube account and was able to view the video, so I’m not sure what the problem is…unless maybe you have to update your browser to the latest version.

5. FK says:

just checked out the video on Cano and had a few questions. How can he be balanced and have his weight back, If his rear foot is lifting off the the ground and dragging and his front foot is rolling over?

1. Chas Pippitt says:

FK,

Look at the lean in his swing, the angle of his spine. The fact that his back foot is off the ground is irrelevant to where his weight is. What you must see is when he finishes his swing, his ‘falling’ backwards and not pushing on to and over top of his front foot, like a pitcher does. If Cano didn’t put his back foot down after contact, he would literally fall back onto the catcher.

Also, Dynamic Balance is hard to see/comprehend. For instance, a Pitcher has Dynamic Balance through a motion but not at stopped points of a motion. Watch Cano relax out of his swing and calmly watch the baseball fly. This proved Dynamic Balance through a movement, not at an individual point. It’s impossible to do a correct pitching windup and be ‘balanced’ when you’re in your stride if you STOP the motion…because you’re off the ground and moving. BUT it is possible to have a ‘balanced start and finish’ in a motion which generally means you’re balanced within the move.

Remember, Cano is super efficient, and if I had a high school kid who was rolling his foot over, we at I.T.S. Baseball would correct it, unless that player has what I described above and can relax out of his swing efficiently with no spin, little or no head movement, and his weight being ‘caught’ on his back foot.

I explain this in detail in the video at the 3:49 mark until the 4:30 mark.

Thanks for the question, and if you’re still unclear, please let us know.

Chas —

6. Jimmy says:

Hey can you explain what cano is doing with his hands at 1:20-1:24. I am trying to disect exactly what his top hand is doing. Also one last thing i am having trouble generating hip thrust while also trying to stay deep. I have read the article but i still cant figure out what is stopping my hip thrust. Thanks.

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Jimmy,

Don’t look at the hands, they’re overrated! His hands are not moving…they are BEING MOVED by his shoulders which are being moved by his hips.

Easy as Pie for a guy like Cano.

As far as your hip thrust problem, are you coming off the ground with your back foot like Cano does? The answer is probably not, but all you need to do is stop PUSHING with your back leg and start turning from your trunk. Sean Dixon from Natural Hitting . com talks a lot about turning the middle of your body, and so do I. I think he misses something small though as he turns the entire core at the same time and I think the torso should turn in stages. Abs turning the hips until they can’t go any further without turning the legs and shoulders at the same time.

Chas –

1. Jimmy says:

Yea thanks..As far as his load is concerned i feel the only way to get your foot off the ground is to sort of have a mini leg kick which i think cano does. Also does cano have a coil load because i think a coil is more productive in this type of swing.But im not positive. Thanks.

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Jimmy,

Yes, Cano has a Coil Load, and that is effective. I will say this, most young kids naturally coil, but they do it single geared with their shoulders and hips both, top level hitters mostly coil just their hips.

Thanks for your active questions Jimmy,

Chas –

1. Jimmy says:

Yea no problem when you said ….”All his hands are doing is flattening out or laying back to get into a top hand palm up bottom hand palm down position.”… do u mean after he snaps the top hand down to contact because i got a little confused on how the wrist snap would work if the hips are doing ALL the work. When would it be appropriate to snap the barrel with the hips working at the same time. I hope this makes sense thanks.!

7. Anonymous says:

Hey chas i just have a quick question involving the finish of the swing. I have a one handed finish and i just wanted to know if that goes against anything you are talking about. I know cano has a 2 handed finish but somehow releases it at the end with one hand so i just wanted to know if theres any disadvantages or advantages of the finish.

8. Chas Pippitt says:

Jimmy and Anonymous,

First, Jimmy, you get to palm up palm down position when you’re slotting your elbow behind your body. Look at the Vlad snippet I put in the article before this one, and you can see him beginning to flatten his hands and bring the barrel downward to closer to parallel with the ground, this allows his hands freedom of movement to snap the barrel into the zone and great early supported bat speed.

Anonymous:

Is that name foreign? Anyways, Finish is overrated with how it’s discussed in today’s hitting world. Your one handed finish is fine if you release like Cano does, but most people release with their top hand MUCH MUCH MUCH to early…like right after or even BEFORE contact…not good.

If you can keep your hand on the bat like he does…then you’re good. Also…get ready…FINISH LOW not high…a high finish means you swung DOWN then UP after contact…but as you can see from Cano, he slots his barrel behind him, swings UP through the baseball and therefore his swing finishes down by his ankles…but way up in the air.

Chas –

9. Greg says:

Hold on…do you have more on the relationship of the abs to the hips when turning?

10. Chas Pippitt says:

Greg,

I have a great video on ‘gears’ in my website, http://www.itsbaseball.net

it’s the one with a guy in the orange shirt.

also, have you read the other articles or watched the Cano video? I think there’s some nuggets in there that may clean stuff up.

Also, may comments have video in the responses and can be very helpful as well.

I hope that helped, if not, let me know and I can go deeper

Chas–

11. Frank says:

Hey Chas,
    I’m really glad to have found you. I coached a nationally rank boys travel team for quite a few years. I was teaching heel drop starts the hips, but now I see that what your teaching is correct. I have read and watched a bunch of your material and just love it.
    Thanks so much!

12. Warren says:

Chas, It was a little strange when I opened this site for the first time. A fellow coach recommended I take a look since what you teach is VERY similar to what we work on all the time. It was strange because, the first case study is on my cousins son, Josh Horton. We’re very proud of him. I saw all of these things in his swing when he played for UNC, but didn’t feel it was my place to say anything without being asked. Finish look very nice now.

Couple of things. I work both fastpitch and baseball. Would you agree that the spine angle for fastpitch would be different since the pitch plane is different. Second, I believe it to be more accurate to say that the center of mass is back than to say that your weight is not on your front foot. Weight is measured by force on the ground and I bet if you put a scale under Cano’s front foot at contact, every pound he has would show up on his front foot. I know the hesitation to verbalize weight on the front foot, but the truth is that it’s there. The difference is that if you could see the center of mass, it would roughly be under his butt. Agree or disagree?

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Warren,

I’m going to address the weight issue at the end of our next article. Due out ASAP.

As far as the plane of the pitch goes in softball vs baseball I think they are very similar. It’s a proven fact that all softball pitches other than the RiseBall actually go down. some more slightly than others, but that is true. I think the spine angle should be very similar in both sports, perhaps slightly more vertical in softball if you’re a smaller girl with less power. If you’re a power hitter in fastpitch, lean back and take a whack because those fences are super short.

I’m glad you like his new swing, his swing now is much nicer than the one on the site. Josh has worked very hard and is a good friend of mine now. He’s going to do great this year.

Chas–

13. Graham says:

Chas, this is great stuff, keep it up! It’s crazy how much I’m learning and implementing in my own lessons from your articles. Hopefully I can make this kind of impact on the pitching side of things.

14. Robby says:

Chas,
    I had a question about a hitters front leg at contact. Should it be locked out or flex? I am taught for it to be locked out at contact but a coach i know says it should be flex. which one should it be? and what’s the difference?

1. Chas Pippitt says:

Robby,

The leg should be flexed at landing/heel plant and then straigtening during the swing with the intention of being totally locked at contact.

The straight leg prevents forward and downward head movement as well as makes your angle very strong in your swing. That creates a super efficient and powerful turn.

Chas–

15. JERRY says:

chas this is great I have been following bat speed.com for about three years .and I like jacks ideas also .I think you agree on most ideas and reading his ideas makes me understand yours better . ido lke the idea of the middle body power.

16. JERRY says:

chas great web site .you help explain whats is coined rotational hitting by some very well .Now I have a question if you dont mind at foot plant should the batter think twist the abs to thrust the hips while the shoulders stay closed?or think twist the hips?